Euthanasia..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Euthanasia..

Post  Slinky on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Should we have the legal right to decide when to end our lives?

Should doctors be able to decide that someone's life is over and legally euthanise them?

WYO?

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke.

Slinky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euthanasia..

Post  KoJaq on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

I don't think that drs should have the right to decide, think Harold Shipman!

I do think that people should be able to choose to end their lives with help (and legally) when they are terminally ill or have a condition such as MS/MND. Having seen 3 very close relatives die from a nasty disease, I think that the drs whould have been able to help them end their lives when they had said they had had enough.

KoJaq

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Us? Yes.

Doctors? No.
EeeGee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 on Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm

I believe in the right of a person to decide when is the right time for them to die.
I believe people with terminal conditons (outside the normal scope of life generally, which has a mortality rate of 100% however you look at it) SHOULD be able to choose. I do NOT think they should have the choice made for them.

I spent a week last week in the company of NHS commissioners, who were listening to a talk from NICE, who look at the cost effectiveness of a treatment (NOT whether the nhs can afford it, that's different) They actually increase the cost allowed per Quality adjusted life year for end of life care, as people set great store by still being around, despite reduced quality of life. HOWEVER, in terms of cost effectiveness, he could not see that allowing euthansia was EXTREMELY cost effective, and provided an outcome with a high satisfaction rating.

This is becasue the nhs NEVER sees death as a "positive outcome". it should. I know which would be more positive for me if I aquired a terminal illness / disease that rendered me incapable of being ME.

National Institute fro Sheltered Housing actually views death as a positive outcome - and although they don't euthanase (of course) they do believe that, since they are caring for people for whom death is a far more immediate possibility, that end of life dignity and some choice around lifestyle etc are IMPORTANT. Death WILL happen, why not make it as bearable as we can?

Lx
sunset30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble on Fri May 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Whilst I would never take myself out (I don't think - though I think if I was in pain, I might just keep upping my morphine until I couldn't feel it any more iyswim...), I do think I have the right to ask that I am not resuscitated if I have a terminal illness. I also don't think any doctor has the right to switch me off, if I was a vegetable. Only my dh or, God forbid, my children have that right. Doctors are there to provide a service and their service is to maintain life at all costs. It's down to me and mine to choose not to take up that service.

I agree with L in that I think death is a POSITIVE outcome, for me. A surcease of pain or indignity after a life richly lived is not something that is to be thought of as bad or sad. Although I think suicide is sad in all respects, and voluntary euthanasia IS suicide, there are times when it is a relief for all those concerned.

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means, what you think it means..."
Jeliwobble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 on Sun May 17, 2009 1:54 am

choice, consequnces, responsibility, think of those left behind
cu2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moomin76 on Sun May 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I find this topic really hard, I just don't know where I stand on it. On the one hand, I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to live their life in extreme pain. On the other hand, I believe that life is an extremely precious gift that we should be very very grateful for. I therefore can't see myself ever choosing that route, but if others feel that they need to then I can respect that.

The grey area for me is where the choice is made because of quality of life, rather than pain. It implies to me that someone who is disabled has a lower quality of life than an able bodied person and that is hideously wrong on so many levels. My mother was diagnosed with MS 23 years ago and is now in a nursing home and unable to do anything for herself. She is on the whole very happy though. Yet, by someone else's definition of quality of life she has none and should therefore be able to ask someone to kill her. That is abhorrent to me.

So in conclusion, I really don't know! I would not be opposed to legislation being enacted to allow people the choice. I wouldn't want the choice to be for anyone other than the individual concerned (where mentally capable of making such a decision of course). No doctor should be able to decide - financial considerations would have to play a part in that decision.
Moomin76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva on Sun May 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Slinky wrote:Should we have the legal right to decide when to end our lives?

Should doctors be able to decide that someone's life is over and legally euthanise them?

WYO?

Yes, I think we should have the legal right to say we don't wish to be kept artificially alive in specific circumstances which would be unique to each individual.

I think doctors have the right to say that further medical intervention wouldn't work - the Tony Bland case strikes a cord here where the doctors had the support of his family for stopping feeding him. But I don't think an ordinary GP should have that right. It should be upon hospitalisation with consultation with the family but ultimately I think the medical experts should have the final say on treatment which prolongs someone's body staying alive whether they're mentally aware of it or not - if that makes sense?

I know I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I wasn't fully aware of my situation and I certainly wouldn't want medical intervention to bring me back if that was going to be a life where I was dependent on a machine actually keeping me alive.
Cadiva

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum