Cover versions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cover versions

Post  sarabone on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:59 pm

WYOO cover versions of songs? Do they show a lack of creativity on the part of the singer or are some covers better than the original?

Personally I think they only have any merit if the covering artist actually DOES something with the song. Brings something new to it, a new insight or a new arrangement that improves or changes the song and makes it their own. The number of artists who simply sing old songs karokee style depresses me. And I hope Leonard Cohen's financial worries have been completely taken care of by this dreadful new version of Halleluiah. Seriously. I hope the royalties have bought him a jet or something.

sarabone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cover versions

Post  aloveofeachcolour on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Oh, good post! I agree about the need for cover versions to bring something new to the party - an example of this for me is Mark Ronson/Lily Allen's cover of the Kaiser Chief's "Oh my god" - fabulous track.

I think it depends on which version you hear first, too. There are quite a few covers that I like more than the original, simply because I got to know them first.

Alec
aloveofeachcolour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mushroom on Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 am

i like cover versions but i dont think they are as good as people who rite their own songs.

Mushroom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 on Thu May 07, 2009 12:29 am

For me it really does depend on the cover. Generally i love covers - hearing a female sing a song that a man did originally or a group bring a new arrangement in. YUP, I really do like covers if they are good ones. I generally prefer it if they do something to the original - whether that be bring it up to date or change the way it is sung...but i also do sometimes just enjoy a different voice singing a song in the same way if the original was great in the first place.

Equally if a cover, imo, butchers a great song i get really annoyed by it lol And i tend to get frustrated by covers that are done by groups such as Westlife...which to me give a bland wishy washy emotionless cover style to songs they do. I like covers to make the song as powerful if not more than an original...or for example change it completely by turning classical into dance etc

Yes indeed - all hail cover songs I say...as much as i adore new music I also have a large place in my heart for many many cover versions...
3for3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top