The news coverage of Micheal Jackson's death

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The news coverage of Micheal Jackson's death

Post  sarabone on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Not Micheal Jackson's death, or his life. I've seen too many forums in turmoil about that today. The news coverage of it.

The bbc news right now has absolutly nothing on the ticker except quotes about how sad popstars feel today. I watched for 15 minutes and no mention anywhere of Iran, the recession, MP's expenses, ofcoms bid to remove sky's monoply, network rails expenses report, the bbc's expensises report or indeed anything else but the death of an aging american popstar. I'm sure if i'd stayed long enough there'd have been some headlines or something but seriously. The guy hadn't even released a record in years. I don't actually really remember him being a popstar rather than a generic famous person. I don't think he's released many records since I've been old enough to pay attention. And yet the coverage is comparable to that of Diana's death (which may have been excessive but at least she was actually British) or 911.

sarabone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The news coverage of Micheal Jackson's death

Post  sunset30 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:59 am

I think it IS a bit extreme, and I am not really a fan of this mass outpouring of grief for what really amounts to a stranger you would recognise.

However, I also think that more people in the world would recognise a picture of him than any one else, so world wide coverage of some description is inevitable. I think it's cos it's so cross generational - DPs parent's would easily recognise him, as would he, as would I as would my "step niece"

I must be older than you though, cos I REALLY remember MJ being HUGE, having MASSIVE hits, but then, I am old enough to have been in a class full of people trying to moonwalk and knowing the worlds and moves to Thriller!

Lx
sunset30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:47 am

I'm only just 21 so probably. I remember my older brother had a quilt cover with his face on when I was really really tiny (like pre school). I had repressed it as it was bloody terrifying at the time but my dad reminded me today in response to my brother making bad taste jokes about it on facebook.

sarabone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 am

I'm old enough to remember MJ being truly massive in music terms. I think he is probably one of the biggest musical stars in a long time who revlutionised music at the time and because he was a global star his death is kind of like the death of someone like Elvis...
I wasn't surprised by the craziness of the news coverage and in some ways it was good not to have the same old 'the uk is turning to cack' type news story...instead lots of messages from people who will miss him.

Like laura I'm not a fan of this huge outpouring of grief over famous people dying so in fairness i was shocked and think it is sad he was young...and led such a tragic life in so many ways...but equally don't really care that much lol

Let's hope it's not like Diana and being referred to constantly over the next 10 or so years *yawn* I don't mind a day of it but any more and i'm reaching for the offensive jokes i've been sent about it lol

Jo x
3for3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top