Fighting to survive.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fighting to survive.

Post  fatcat2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 pm

WYOO 24 week viable stage in pregnancy?

Should Doctors and the big wigs that run hospitals do what ever they can to help matain the life of a baby born before 24 weeks?

Does there have to be a time put on a baby life when it's classed as viable?

Should we let these poor baby's RIP and not be (more than likley) subject to a lot's of disabilities when born before 24 weeks? Or is a half life better than no life??
fatcat2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fighting to survive.

Post  Henri on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 pm

I have three friends who I know of who were born before 24 weeks. One is now doing her medical residency and is one of the most grounded, intelligent and well rounded young women I've ever met. Another is a fantastic artist and all round kind and gentle human being. The third is a twunt but that has nothing to do with the stage of pregnancy he was born at, I think! I know that these three were all lucky in their outcomes, but their stories are by no means exceptional.

I think all efforts should be made to save any child born prematurely, whether that be at 21 weeks (the future Dr friend) or 36 weeks. All human beings deserve the best the healthcare system can do for them. This includes very premature babies.

Obviously there is a stage were there is no chance of survival, and I think that if the child can be born alive, any effort should be made to save them, there are certain situations where nothing will save the child.
Henri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top