My *Ahem* Garden ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My *Ahem* Garden ...

Post  Hushy on Sun May 24, 2009 10:37 pm

This section of the forum is evil. Utterly evil. You have all shamed me. Yes, that's right - SHAMED. Embarassed

My *Ahem* garden is horrendous and always has been. The kids were always too young for me to consider spending lots of money fixing it, and they'd have quickly trashed whatever I did anyway.

BUT this section, of this forum, shammmmmeeeeddd meeeeee, so now I need to spend £200 on the garden. Thanks. Really. Thanks. Evil or Very Mad LOL.

I have been digging and planning and weedkiller*ing and ordering, so now I have a rotavator coming on Friday (weekend hire) to dig over the front and side *Ahem* lawns. Then I have 2 tonnes of topsoil (mixed with compost) coming the Friday after that. I'll hire a lawn roller that weekend too. I'll level the lawns, top up the newly created veggie patch and the newly created Strawberry plant bit and the newly created flower bed area. Then we'll dig out the horrid edging bricks, and use Log Roll to edge & form the veg/flower/lawn areas. Thennnn I'll lay Canada Green grass seed (Diane, are you reading this? YOUR fault, all of it ... HMPH ...) which is supposed to start growing within 2-3 weeks.

We'll need to dig up the swing (cemented in) before rotivating, we'll re-cement it and create a rectangle underneath with bark chippings in it. Not sure when to do this though? After the topsoil yet before the grass laying? Help?

I plan to grow wild flowers in the flower bed, strawberries in the back garden bit and some veg in the veg patch. I'm thinking carrots, peapods and maybe turnips? The space isn't huge, so I'm not sure what we can fit in there. Any advice welcome!

When it looks reasonable, I might be brave enough to let you see the 'before' pics I took last week!

Tips, hints, advice or support needed and gratefully received!

cheese

XXX

Admin

View user profile http://whatsyouropinionon.top-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: My *Ahem* Garden ...

Post  prettypinkflowers on Mon May 25, 2009 12:01 am

I am so impressed!!!
I really look forward to weekly progress reports and the before and after pictures ... that is something I do not have ... the first photos I have are when the trees came down, I forgot to take any before photos, it is so is so hard to see the work that has been done. (We had the rotovator in and laid new lawn after 4 skips of trees were removed) it is so nice to see progress and I am sure you will enjoy the finished product.
Good luck and have lots of fun

jx

flower flower flower flower flower flower (a few extra for your new garden!!!)

prettypinkflowers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  c1nd3rs on Mon May 25, 2009 1:37 am

Blimey you didn't just think about it did you. I am impressed.

It'll be worth it in the end and HOW is it my fault??? Shocked

I finally got round to phase one of my renovation today. I tend to take months/years to do stuff once I've started thinking about it.

Must get the canada green out for that lawn now Rolling Eyes

Sorry for hijacking the thread Embarassed

Last edited by c1nd3rs on Mon May 25, 2009 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add most humble apologies)
c1nd3rs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger on Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Oh Dear God woman,
you are on a MISSION Razz Razz
Sounds like you are onto a winner. I highly recomend shrubs in the flowerbed as well as wild flowers as they will give you something to look at all year round. My Fav is hydrangea's as they need very little care and have lovely old fashioned flowers,

I also love the David Austin roses which take a bit of pruning but are just beautiful ( I have 20 different ones in my garden Embarassed )

Best of Luck and I really look forward to seeing some before and after pics
hx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger on Mon May 25, 2009 10:48 pm

c1nd3rs wrote:Blimey you didn't just think about it did you. I am impressed.

It'll be worth it in the end and HOW is it my fault??? Shocked

I finally got round to phase one of my renovation today. I tend to take months/years to do stuff once I've started thinking about it.

Must get the canada green out for that lawn now Rolling Eyes

Sorry for hijacking the thread Embarassed

Lovely tidy play area, can I send my Dcs round for a lesson???

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtyqwerty on Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Good for you! I should put bark in before lawn seed, or at the same time, so it's well marked. Are you edging the bark patch?

Do you eat a lot of turnips?

I think tomatoes and things are nicer. Courgettes. Or whatever you eat a lot of, really.

dirtyqwerty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hushy on Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Diane - You *know* it's all your fault! LOL!

Thanks for all the messages ladies, they're appreciated!

DQ - We don't eat a massive amount of turnips, but we do use them in soup etc. The kids eat a lot of carrots, and we all love peapods ... but I actually have NO idea what I can grow or not, and how much space each thing needs. The 'veggie plot' is pretty small. I thought turnips would be easy, lol! Devon fancies doing some lettuce instead, but again I have no idea how much space it takes. All I've done so far is dig it all over (4 times, spaced), removed any debris and added two lots of RoundUp weedkiller (again, spaced). The same with the 'Strawberry Bit'. See how technical I am with my phrasing? Impressive, huh? LOL!

Tomorrow we will dig up the old edging bricks from the side garden, dig up and 'prop up' the Virgin Media cable, dig up the swing and rake the garden to remove the biggest stones.

Saturday it gets rotavated! I need to buy a hose so I can keep the soil damp. Then I'll add a layer from the 2 tonnes of topsoil coming on Friday 5th June, roll it and add the grass seed. The topsoil is mixed with compost, so I'll use a decent layer of it in the flower bed, the veggie plot and the strawberry bit. Then I can eventually buy plants/seeds!

I AM planning to section off the swing bark area, using some of the log roll edging. It won't be massive, it's just for a single swing.

XXX

Admin

View user profile http://whatsyouropinionon.top-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs on Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 pm

you can grow little gem(?) lettuces in boxes/ conatainers or is it lambs ear? are they both types of lettuce?

I find growing herbs easy...I have rosemary, lavendar (a few types) thyme lemon balm and peppermint. Lucy likes them as well she rubs the leaves and smells them. I do most of my planting in tubs because of the dog but we have a hydrangea - whcih seems to have been attacked by the frost we think- which stands up to him.

Buddleia is very nice too. Ours is huge because it wasn't cut back adn it split .

My camera has broken but when it is fixed I will take piccies and post them
Mrs Big Boobs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:36 am

Wow! That's an impressive amount of work!

We have a boring garden and all my veggies are in boxes (except the potetoes which are doing FABULOUSLY in old "bag for life" bags - they take up hardly any space, and it's so easy!) I have courgettes which are doing well, and butternut squash, which seem to be doing OK too. Tomatoes in a gorw bag on a table (to TRY and deter snails - we have MASSES) which are growing amazingly. The beans are not up yet, but any day now they should poke little green stems up through the soil.

Oh, yeah, back to my point. We can't grow root veggies direct in the soil here - the nitrate balance is all wrong. We COULD correct it, but, UNlike you, I am a fantastically lazy gardener. So, just something you might want to keep an eye out for?

Sounds AMAZING!
Lx
sunset30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers on Fri May 29, 2009 12:08 pm

HI Laura,
What is a nitrate imbalance? How do you find out if you haveone? I don't think it is a porblem for me as I have 1 tonne of new topsoil in one garden and one tonne of last year new topsoil in the other but I am just wondering if there is a nitrate imbalance does it meanthe vege won't grow or won't grow tasty?
I thought gardening was little mor ethan planting seeds and adding water but now I am a few months into this I think that perhaps there are a few things I should research first!!!
hmmmmm
back to work but will ponder on this all day!!!
jx

prettypinkflowers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs on Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 pm

You can get soil testing kits. Some plants needthe acidity / alkaline mix to be right to be able to grow.
Mrs Big Boobs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 on Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 pm

yeah, you can get a kit.
Root vegetables need a particualr balance of nitrates or the roots won't form into veggies - I tried to grow beetroot last year adn I got lovely plants, but no actual beetroot. My gardening expert friend says it's down to the nitrates.
I am sure a book from the library would have told me what I needed to do to correct this, but I didn't bother, I just grew spinach and rocket instead!
Lx
sunset30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers on Fri May 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for that ... we are off to the library tomorrow morning anyway so I will have to look in the gardening section.

I am sure my garden is fine as i had a bumper crop of ex dp's potatoes last year so I am sure it will be fine but I think it is time to do some research rather than just randomly planting things!!!

Can't wait to get home and see the garden tonight ... it is the first thing we do every night, H knows all the plants names and helps me with the weeds too! I am pleased he isn't bored by it all!!!

jx

flower

prettypinkflowers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top