Goodbye Wiki & Google ????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goodbye Wiki & Google ????

Post  Guest on Sun May 03, 2009 12:36 pm

The biggest internet revolution for a generation will be unveiled this month with the launch of software that will understand questions and give specific, tailored answers in a way that the web has never managed before.

Link to full story

Computer experts believe the new search engine will be an evolutionary leap in the development of the internet. Nova Spivack, an internet and computer expert, said that Wolfram Alpha could prove just as important as Google. "It is really impressive and significant," he wrote. "In fact it may be as important for the web (and the world) as Google, but for a different purpose.

Wolfram Alpha will not only give a straight answer to questions such as "how high is Mount Everest?", but it will also produce a neat page of related information – all properly sourced – such as geographical location and nearby towns, and other mountains, complete with graphs and charts.

The real innovation, however, is in its ability to work things out "on the fly", according to its British inventor, Dr Stephen Wolfram. If you ask it to compare the height of Mount Everest to the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, it will tell you. Or ask what the weather was like in London on the day John F Kennedy was assassinated, it will cross-check and provide the answer. Ask it about D sharp major, it will play the scale. Type in "10 flips for four heads" and it will guess that you need to know the probability of coin-tossing. If you want to know when the next solar eclipse over Chicago is, or the exact current location of the International Space Station, it can work it out.

Dr Wolfram, an award-winning physicist who is based in America, added that the information is "curated", meaning it is assessed first by experts. This means that the weaknesses of sites such as Wikipedia, where doubts are cast on the information because anyone can contribute, are taken out. It is based on his best-selling Mathematica software, a standard tool for scientists, engineers and academics for crunching complex maths.

The engine, which will be free to use, works by drawing on the knowledge on the internet, as well as private databases.

With Google now one of the world's top brands, worth $100bn, Wolfram Alpha has the potential to become one of the biggest names on the planet.

Any opinions on this? Are you looking forward to it's release? Do you think it has the potential to render Google and Wikipedia useless? Do you fear it will be full of glitches ... a lot of hype over nothing? Can you see a specific potential use which will enrich your life?

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye Wiki & Google ????

Post  phoenix on Sun May 03, 2009 12:47 pm

If this is as good as it sounds there will be millions of users.. all teenagers cheating on their homework. Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 on Mon May 04, 2009 12:08 am

Ooh, can I use it to cheat on my homework? Laughing
Lx
sunset30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 on Wed May 06, 2009 12:33 am

wow - if this is as good as it seems I cannot wait!

Like any new system i guess there will be some glitches and teething problems as it finds its feet. I don't see how it will render google useless though as they seem to have different purposes. I can see it damaging wiki tho.

The internet is always my first port of call when i am looking something up so i can see this filling a gap which exists at the moment. The ability to properly answer a targetted question...oooh i can't wait to try it.
3for3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top